Friday 21 February 2014

alone in the dark

what's scarier?

edit:

Alone in the dark newer version


This guy walking through green hallways what's th- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA

DOS version


THIS IS scary, you see this thing hovering around outside the window in the void and then it breaks through the glass and is then INSIDE THE ROOM WITH YOU. It's even hard to make out what it is because of the lack of shadows, it's soooo scary. And the player moves really slowly which makes it even more scary.

100/100

Thanks for reading!

PIK poom pish, pah pik poom pish. pik pikpikpik PISH, boom pik. poom pish

DFGHHHH

3 comments:

  1. And also at that point you haven't even figured out the keys, if you can defend yourself, or how movement even works. That moment of panic, and my clumsy response is still a pretty strong game design/taste lesson for me. I guess the WarioWare games are based around some sort of Alone in the Dark opening endless hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I haven't played the game since i was really young [even if I did actually play it...], but I agree with what you say. the idea really appeals to me as well. The beginning looks like the most interesting part of the game to me, going from watching gameplay videos. I remember my friend saying he didn't know how to progress from the first room, did he miss something? does he take the shotgun down the stairs? or whatever. just that thought of having no idea how to progress is interesting to me.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, being stuck in that first room was certainly my first experience too. It would have been on a demo disc, and I didn't give it much time, wasn't even sure if there was any more to it. I didn't end up playing it more until... last year, I think, and it was a bit like other games of its type in that it seemed to become less engaging as it went on.

      Making a game around the player not having an idea how to progress, or even if it's possible would be interesting—well I guess that feeling can certainly be gotten in other games, but using that idea as a starting point seems more unusual, and a game that is still interesting and complete feeling without the player need to 'escape the room' would be part of that, I think.

      Delete